Friday, January 23, 2009

Ladyhawk - Shots

Ladyhawk - Shots
[Jagjaguwar - 2008]
82%

Ladyhawk- S.T.H.D.

As I'm writing this, I'm giving shots another listen through, and I'm wondering how it ended up at the bottom of the year-end list. Oh well, I'm not re-ordering them again... I spent enough time on that already.

For those of you who caught Ladyhawk[1] the first time around (that would not be me, but I did listen to them both for comparison's sake) their sophomore release strikes a much darker note. It's a little dirtier, a little more atmospheric, and just as raw, but in a different way.

As the album progresses along, it strays further and further from the mainstream semi-polished feel of S.T.H.D. and heads toward early Modest Mouse or Pixies territory. The instrumentation and production gets sparse, downright barren in some places, and the vocals take on a wild bent. Somehow, Shots retains a cohesive feel. never once does a song feel out of place, despite the variety it contains.

The combination of scattershot lead vocals with do-do-do backup singers reminiscent of Walk on the Wild Side on Night You're Beautiful is probably the best moment on the latter half of the album. That track also features some of the album's tastiest guitar licks.

Shots ends on a long, slow bluesy number. It definitely gives me an early Bush vibe, mainly Duffy Driediger's voice and the verse melody, I think. Overall, a pretty well rounded album and for sure worth checking out.

[1]Not to be confused with Ladyhawke, who like ladyhawk, hasn't received anywhere near the praise she deserves. Thanks goes out to You Ain't No Picasso for that find!

0 comments:


Blog (c)2009 McGuire Irvine, music and the like (c) their respective owners.